Monday, January 31, 2011

How long has it been? ...55 Years. Goulet!


So I thought I was going to be all gung-ho about this whole blog thing. I thought everyone was going to be excited to read what was going on in Jami's and my lives. Apparently I'm not as excited as everyone else may be to read it, due to the fact that I haven't updated this thing since the middle of September. So, my activity for tonight is to get something out there to let all of you that read this (all 3 of you) what has been going on. I don't even know where to start. This in no way is Jami's fault for the lack of posts, it's all on me. Oh well. I'll probably go month to month and try to hit the highlights. If I actually kept a schedule or made a calendar I could go back and look stuff up, but I don't even do that. Jami is great at keeping a schedule (among other things). I do feel very lucky to have her in my life, and to have someone that actually gets my weirdness and other odd things that are inherent risks involved with being married to me. They say that the first year of marriage is always the hardest. If that's the case, then we are golden, because we are having a blast together, every day no matter what. Go us. Anyway, back to the list of what has happened-I do know that there has been some mountain biking that went on, some dates, weddings (and lots of doing hair in a bunch of other weddings as well), the return of the Mau, possibly a concussion (I'm still not sure about that one, even though Jami says it definitely was one), Thanksgiving and Christmas, loss of teeth, college football and national disappointment, and a plane ride. I'll try to expound.

So way back in September, when the weather was still nice, and the college football season was still in it's infancy, I got in some riding, whether it was out in Post Canyon, or out in the Tillamook State Forest at what is probably now my favorite downhill trail. We also watched a ton of college football (and when I say we, I mean mostly me...nope, pretty much all me). Oregon was really fun to watch, and I think gave an indication of things to come with their beatdown of Tennessee in Knoxville (after the monsoon). Usually when football was on Jami was out doing hair at some wedding, or just doing her friends hair as well. Again, she is amazing at that, I'll have to try to dig up some pictures of what she has done, I think all will be impressed (and when I say all, I mean the 2 1/2 of you that might actually read this thing). So, that's how most of the Saturday's were spent in the Jensen household. Don't worry, we actually went out and did other stuff too, I just don't remember what it was.

So, that brings us up to October. Our good friends Ben and Amber got married, and it was great to go to the reception and eat all of the little candies that they had set out for everyone. I'm pretty sure that I ate too much, that part of it wasn't so great. But we had a good time, and it was good to see Ben and Amber looking so happy. Also at the beginning of the month, my good buddy Mau got back from his mission in Uruguay, and so it was a good excuse to take some time off of work and go to the airport to see him. Other than seeing him, the best part of the day was seeing his girlfriend Amy (now fiancee) pretending not to be anxious and nervous about him getting back. It got even better when we found out that he was on a later flight than we had originally thought, and so she had to wait that much longer (sorry Amy, but it was pretty funny). October also brought Oregon destroying Stanford, USC, and UCLA in consecutive weeks, bringing in the #1 ranking for the first time in school history. I think more people would had noticed if they weren't so distracted by the Oregon uniforms. Jami and I have talked about this a bunch too--we thought that Oregon's school colors are green and yellow, not green, yellow, silver, black, and white (although white is ok, road uniforms and all that good stuff). And even more recently, neon highlighter yellow. That color is like looking at an eclipse, it'll cause your eyes damage. Jami carved a pretty sweet pumpkin for Halloween too, I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it, it was awesome. Ranked up there with her Lionel Ritchie pumpkin from last year too. I never knew that she was so talented. But I'm learning!

The first week of November brought some decent weather, which was pretty sweet. Decent enough to dry the trails out enough to go back out to the Tillamook state forest for some DH runs. I headed out there with my buddies Jamie, Raul, and Derek (I think there might have been someone else, but I don't remember, and you'll find out why I don't remember in a second) to get some riding in. The first run down was good, not too fast, making sure there wasn't anything blocking the trail. We headed up for the 2nd run, and Derek strapped a camera to his chest and was going to follow me down. So, I decide to try to hit the trail as fast as I could. About halfway down there's a pretty big jump followed by a right hand turn--well I landed a little crooked off the jump, came into the turn on the inside of it going too fast, and so my bike decided that it didn't want to follow the line we were on, so it slid out from under me, thus propelling me about 30 feet down the trail via my back and head, which included a drop of about a foot which I rolled off of. To make things better, Derek was so close behind me that he couldn't stop soon enough, so he rode over top of me. No big deal though. Anyway, most importantly, my bike was fine. Me, however, I'm still not sure how I got down the rest of the trail and how I got home from there. The worst part about all of this is the fact that I tore a big hole in my Motorhead t-shirt that I was wearing. That was really sad, although I didn't realize the hole was there until I got home and Jami pointed it out to me. But, I recovered and it's all good. November brought the start of the Blazers season, and Jami and I were given tickets to go see them play against the Raptors towards the end of the month. I think it was the day that it got announced that Greg Oden was done for the year. Good pick on that one guys. But we had a good time, ate some popcorn and nachos. We also had a good time during Thanksgiving with Jami's family, ate a lot and laughed a lot too. Or I got laughed at a lot. One of the two. Probably both though. Oregon continued to kill teams on the field, it was fun to watch.

I think Jami was super excited to have December start, because it meant that she got to go down to Grand Junction, Colorado to get her wisdom teeth taken out. My Uncle Steve is an oral surgeon down there, and he was nice enough to pop those suckers out of there. We both feel blessed and lucky to have the families that we do, so here's a public thank you to Steve (and to anyone else that might have done anything for us!). Jami got to spend some time with Aunt Connie, Uncle Brad and Aunt Camille, as well as Grandma and Grandpa Kelly, and got to see how great and weird my family is, and they got to see how awesome Jami is. They all got to meet at our wedding last June, but how much time can you really spend together talking at one of those things? So, I thought that was a great added benefit to her going down there. One tip that she would like to share though--if and when you have your wisdom teeth taken out, try not to puke for a while after. She got sick on the plane ride home, and as a result, ended up with a dry socket. Those are not fun--she toughed it out though for a while, until she ended up needing to go to the dentist. On Christmas Eve morning at 7:30. Lame. Luckily, the inside of her mouth was only bruised, and not infected or anything worse. Oregon clinched a berth in the BCS championship game with a win in the Civil War. Oregon State had a rough season, had some key injuries that really hurt them, or I'm sure that they would had ended up in a bowl game as well. Jami went crazy with wedding hair stuff, decided to do 2 weddings in one weekend at the end of the year, so that kept her really busy.

That brings us to January. Hopefully I can remember a bit more about January since it was pretty recent. On New Years Eve we were invited to hang with our good friends Moana and Juval Fiatoa, as well with Mau and Amy. There's that new Kinect thing that you can hook up to an XBox, and it tracks your movements as you go. Mo and Juval have this hip-hop dance game that you follow, and it tells you how good or bad you are doing as you go along. Well, I figured I'd try to embarrass myself and get up there and do it. Good thing no one was videotaping it. I was terrible. Broke a good sweat though. We were able to go to a wedding (that Jami did the hair of the bride at, and yes Megan, I know that's not grammatically correct, but I don't care) of an old friend of Jami's on New Years Day. We filled the time between the wedding and reception by going to Old Chicago and watching the Rose Bowl. I enjoyed that part....mmmm....potato skins....mmmmm. Later on in the month we watched Oregon come up just short in the championship game. I'm still a little bitter about that...how did Scam Newton end up playing? Lame. I still think there should be a playoff. Stupid BCS. Anyway, moving on. I learned a hard lesson a few weeks later, which is don't leave your ipod in your car overnight if you live in an apartment complex. I came out of the apartment one Saturday morning to go do some errands, and I noticed that my passenger side window was shattered and my ipod was stolen. Cost me $160 bucks to replace the stupid window. Haven't replaced the ipod yet, but I'm sure eventually I will. Stupid thieves too, I had a basketball and a pair of basketball shoes on the floor of the backseat. Anyway, if anyone wants to contribute to the Craig Jensen ipod recovery fund, you know how to get a hold of me. Church hoops started up too, that's been an eye-opening experience. Some more of our good friends (Matt and Bethany) got married at the end of January down in Houston, and my buddy James and I headed down there to support them. Good trip, but hectic. I spent about 12 hours in airports last Saturday, which was pretty lame. I don't recommend doing that ever. Got to read the book "The Blind Side" though. Good book. Jami and I try to get out and about every so often too, we were able to go see "True Grit" a few weeks back, and we both loved it. $5 movie night is a good thing. Oh yeah, it was my birthday too.

I lost a good friend, my buddy Norm (he was one of my bikes). I had to sell him so I could end up getting a new bike. It's going to be awesome! Pictures will be shared, I'm sure. I think that's about it for now though. We're having a blast, hope everyone else that is reading this is too.

2 comments:

  1. you still have a blog? good to see you remember what you did last month, that's usually the hardest to remember

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I found your blog and loved that we were a part of the last post! Now update more often man!

    ReplyDelete